Hydrogen peroxide is a chemical that effectively works for acne and their scars. The available concentration of hydrogen peroxide varies from 3% to 35 % and for getting rid of acne scars, you must opt for the lower one. In fact, hydrogen peroxide with 3% concentration is used in case of severe acne while it is diluted with an adequate amount of water to lower down its concentration to 1% for mild acne. To treat the scars, you can opt for 3% concentration and if you have super sensitive skin, then dilute it further. Here are ways to get rid of the acne scars with the use of hydrogen peroxide. So, let’s read it further.
1. Hydrogen peroxide toner for sensitive skin:
Rosemary essential oil helps in skin toning and repairs the skin tissues. It helps in reducing the acne scars while hydrogen peroxide bleaches the skin and reduces the appearance of acne scars.
How to use: Take one part of hydrogen peroxide and three parts of distilled water. Add a few drops of rosemary essential oil to it. Pour the mixture into a dark-colored spritz bottle. For best results, apply twice a day.
2. Apple cider vinegar and witch hazel toner with hydrogen peroxide:
Apple cider vinegar is quite useful in treating oily and acne-prone skin. However, it is not suitable for sensitive skin to use it concentrated. Witch hazel in this toner tightens the skin and refines the pores while hydrogen peroxide lightens the acne scars.Tea tree essential oil and lavender essential oil reduces the scars and adds a nice fragrance respectively.
How to use: Take a half cup each of apple cider vinegar and witch hazel. Add two or three tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide to it and mix well. Add a few drops of lavender and tea tree essential oil. Pour the mixture into a spritz bottle. Apply the toner once or twice a day.
3. Hydrogen peroxide and baking soda:
Baking soda helps in skin exfoliation and removes the dead skin cells effectively while hydrogen peroxide reduces the appearance of acne scars.
How to use: Take two tablespoons of baking soda and add a little of hydrogen peroxide to make a smooth paste. Apply it over the affected area and leave for 10 minutes. Later, rinse it off and do not forget to moisturize the skin.
4. Hydrogen peroxide and milk powder:
Milk powder has concentrated form of lactic acid that helps in making the skin even-toned. On the other hand, hydrogen peroxide helps in skin lightening and reducing the acne scars. To avoid the drying of skin post hydrogen peroxide usage, add glycerin or honey to it.
How to use: Take two tablespoons of milk powder and add a half or a full tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide to it. For moisturization, either use glycerin or honey in an appropriate amount. Mix all the ingredients well and apply over the skin. Leave it for 15 minutes and wash it off later. If needed, follow up with a moisturizer.
5. Hydrogen peroxide facial cleanser:
Hydrogen peroxide acts as an excellent facial cleanser and lightens the skin to reduce acne scars. Following up with raw honey will provide the skin proper moisturization to avoid the over-drying of skin.
How to use: To cleanse the face, simple swipe over a cotton ball with hydrogen peroxide over the skin. It will effectively kill the bacteria and lightens the skin. Post swiping, follow up with a gentle massage using raw honey to provide the skin an adequate moisturization. Rinse off with normal water.
Word of caution:
Though hydrogen peroxide is quite effective in treating acne scars, it is not free form side effects. Here are a few precautions that must be taken while using hydrogen peroxide.
1. Never use hydrogen peroxide in large concentration as it can damage the skin. To be on safer side, always use a small concentration of the hydrogen peroxide and it speeds up the process of healing.
2. It will sting a little in starting, but the skin will get accustomed to it. However, if you still feel stinging after the first week, then discontinue the use.
3. Never apply hydrogen peroxide close to your eyes, mouth, and nose.
4. Never skip a sunscreen when going outdoors.
5. Always cleanse the face with a mild cleanser before applying hydrogen peroxide to avoid dryness.
6. Stop using as soon as you start seeing desired results as it kills off some good bacteria as well.
7. If you experience severe dry skin or pain while using hydrogen peroxide, discontinue the usage immediately.