I am all about DIYs these days as I feel they make a great difference to my skin and hair. Unlike cosmetics, they are free from chemicals and preservatives and do not need a great deal of money. I am relying on these DIYs to get soft, shiny hair and smooth and glowing skin. Some of my experiments are hits and some misses, but I will share all my successful recipes with my favorite ladies. Today’s DIY is about a protein-packed hair mask. Think of it as a superfood for your hair which will replenish and rejuvenate dry, damaged tresses. Read on for step by step preparation.
- Egg:1 egg for my shoulder length hair (You can use 2-3 eggs if you have hair that extends well below your shoulders/waist).
- Amla powder: Roughly 4 tablespoons. I used 1 pouch of Banjara’s Amla Powder. Again you can add more depending on your hair length.
- Banana: A great way to use rotting or stale bananas which everyone is reluctant to eat. Half a banana for short hair and 1 banana for long hair.
- Coconut oil: To smoothen the consistency (and hair). I used around 1/4th cup.
Empty the contents of the egg(s) in a bowl or cup. I use a plastic cup. The reason I use paper cups is that they can be disposed after use. Egg leaves a strong smell, and I hate even a faint stink on my utensils.
- Beat the egg till it achieves a runny, uniform consistency.
- Add the amla powder to the egg and mix it.
- Mash the banana and add it to the mixture. It will get messy and using your hands to mix is best.
- Add coconut oil to the mixture and mix everything. Try to make a thick paste with as few clumps as possible. Since mashed banana is added, you won’t find a completely smooth texture, but it works.
How to use it:
- Detangle your hair with a wide-toothed comb.
- Spritz some water or dampen hair a little.
- Make sections or parting and apply the paste on my hair. This can be applied from roots to tips.
- Leave it on for 1 hour.
- Wash off with cold water. Be careful not to use hot or warm water as the egg may ‘cook’ in your hair.
- Shampoo with a mild shampoo. If you have very dry hair, then use a conditioner. Otherwise, you can skip it.
- Let your hair dry naturally.
Before I tell you about the benefits of this hair mask, let me tell you why I love it. The presence of amla powder and banana gives it a thick consistency which doesn’t slip or drip. I hate the feeling of something wet or slimy sliding down my forehead, ears or back- hence this hair mask is my new favorite.
Egg: Because of the presence of protein, eggs can be used to rebuild damaged and dry hair. It gives smooth and moisturized mane, and reduces frizz and flyaways. It also helps to strengthen hair and make it lustrous and thicker.
Banana: Being rich in vitamins, calcium, potassium, carbohydrates and natural oils, banana is a miracle worker which aids in overall nourishment of the hair. It can restore and replenish frizzy dry hair with its natural oils.
Amla powder: The magic of this wonder drug is known to all and everyone swears by this ingredient. It helps in getting thicker, longer and stronger hair. Amla prevents premature greying of hair and relieves from scalp problems and hair loss issues. Amla powder also helps to remove product build up.
Coconut oil: It softens and smoothens hair, making it super shiny, bouncy and hydrated. Coconut oil contains essential fatty acids which help in dealing with hair damaged by pollution and sun exposure.