I was inspired to make this DIY tote bag after I took a trip to the farmer’s market and realized I needed a comfortable and lightweight bag to carry all my goodies. I love the way this DIY project turned out and, more importantly, there was no sewing involved!
A pillowcase already has all the stitching you need to create this easy and stylish tote bag. The cross-body shoulder strap also makes it super comfortable to carry around all day. Just grab a pillowcase from your dresser, stamp it, give it a couple snips and you’ve got a custom carry-all tote for your next trip to the market!
Follow the steps below to make your very own.
• Long Fabric Strip (for the strap)
• Lay the pillowcase flat with the open end facing towards you. Then grab the open end side of the pillowcase and fold it about half way up.
• To add a pattern to the bag, cut out your desired shape from an ordinary dish sponge and use it as a stamp. Dab it in some paint and create your desired design.
• To attach the strap, cut small holes on both sides of the pillowcase where the open end meets the back layer. Grab your fabric and knot it on both sides. I weaved three pieces of fabric together to create a braided look.
• Turn the bag over and bring the two bottom corners together. Attach them by cutting a small hole in each corner and knotting them together with a small piece of fabric.
• To create a tassel like I have on my bag, grab some of your scrap fabric and wrap it around the center of the flap.